Wednesday, May 25, 2011
Last Week of School..sorta;)
This week will be our last week of school...Sorta. Even though we will be taking a break from books my plan is to continue learning with just our lives..I have all kinds of fun stuff swirling around in my head for the summer that we can all do but is educational too. Three of the kids got tested yesterday. LaKaysha acted the most nervous about it(tests have always made her nervous) but I still think she did fine.It does sound like we might need to try a new approach to math.I would really like to do Math-U-See next year(we wanted to a few yrs ago but didn't have the money then),we don't have the money for it at this time but I am praying that if God feels it is what we need that He will provide a way...if not then we will trust He knows best:) Felicity is down to her last 2 electives in Penn Foster High School. I am very proud of her and how she works so hard....BUT we are not at all happy with the Penn Foster curriculum ..it is NOT Christian based and teaches evolution along with some other really odd stuff. Also it is VERY easy,Felicity really hasn't learned anything knew. Yes,she will be getting her Diploma very soon but we feel all we did was pay $1200 for a legal diploma and she didn't learn much. So with much prayer and thought we will be considering teaching our other kids just our own High School program. I am both excited and nervous:) Also with Felicity we are hoping to continue her education with real life stuff and also maybe some online college programs.She is 15 years old but I believe she will do just fine with being done with her "formal" education..she is interested in floral design,photography,writing and editing along with desiring to someday be a wife and mother. So has summer break begins I have a prayer in my heart that we will continue learning with a lifestyle of learning approach and that we have a blessed summer!! My prayer is also for you...that you all are blessed this summer as well:)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
If you do your own thing w/ high school, how do you get credits? Or is that not something you worry about? I don't want to teach high school at all, so am hoping to find a challenging Bible based correspondence school for Tyrel..
ReplyDeleteI agree with your comments about Penn Foster-it's way too easy and hasn't been a challenge for our children. Most people that homeschool use PF, so I guess we just went with the flow. I'm going to spend some time this summer looking for something that will give credits. So far none of ours have wanted to do continuing education so we haven't really needed a diploma, but still I want them to have one if ever needed or wanted.
ReplyDeleteWe'll be starting High school next year with Colten and kinda with Emily too...after I read Barb's stuff, hopefully I have a good idea where we are headed with it. I'm not much interested in a full corraspndance school, maybe a class or two online, but mostly I'd rather we could pick and choose our own stuff.
ReplyDelete